Cheryl Cole: Victoria Beckham held her handbag over her face so she wouldn't be seen smiling

Cheryl Cole met Victoria Beckham at the 2006 World Cup

Cheryl Cole has revealed that Victoria Beckham used to hold her handbag over her mouth to make sure nobody could see her laughing.

The fashion designer opened up to Cheryl, 29, about her fear of being snapped with a natural smile when they travelled to Germany with other WAGs for the 2006 World Cup.

'How do I cope? I cope because I have to, because it's the way my life is,' Victoria, 38, told Cheryl.

'I'm hardened to it. I know how I'm perceived is not how I am, and that's what matters.'

Victoria also told Cheryl - who was supporting ex-husband Ashley, 31, at the football tournament - that she's aware some people think she's too skinny.

But the mum-of-four insisted that she's comfortable with her weight.

'You know what? I'm happy to be thin,' Victoria is quoted as saying in Cheryl's autobiography My Story.

'I'm into fashion and I like being able to wear whatever I like.'

SEE PICTURES Cheryl Cole's hair history - cornrows to curls

SEE PICTURES Cheryl Cole's style file

SEE PICTURES Cheryl and Ashley Cole: Their love story

Anna Duff