Cheryl Cole: I kicked Ashley and scratched his face when I found out he'd cheated on me

Cheryl Cole was devastated when she realised she'd been betrayed

For the first time, Cheryl Cole's revealed in her own words what happened when she discovered that the love of her life Ashley Cole had been unfaithful to her.

In her startlingly honest autobiography Cheryl: My Story, the singer admits she was devastated by his betrayal.

On 24 January 2008, Cheryl discovered Ashley, her husband of two years, had cheated on her the first time, with hairdresser Aimee Walton on a drunken night out in 2007.

She recalls she knew something was wrong when Ashley uncharacteristically offered to make her a cup of tea as they sat in bed at 11pm.

'He hardly ever made tea and I sensed something was off,' reveals Cheryl.

'He'd been acting weird all evening.'

Minutes later Cheryl saw Ashley 'flapping' on the phone to his agent.

Then she got a call from her publicist revealing a national newspaper was printing a story that he'd cheated on her.

'I went to the computer, waiting for the story to appear on the [paper's] website,' Cheryl recalls.

'"You need to read this," I shouted to ! Ashley. But he wouldn't. He looked appalled with himself.'

Cheryl flew into a rage and attacked Ashley.

'I totally lost it. I was lashing out at Ashley in every way,' she says.

'I hit him in the face - I couldn't help it.

'I was shaking him, kicking him, scratching his face, pushing and shoving him like I was a lunatic.'

Cheryl: My Story by Cheryl Cole is out now (20, HarperCollins)

Read more about Cheryl Cole in Now magazine dated 22 October 2012 - out now!

SEE PICTURES Cheryl Cole's hair history - cornrows to curls

SEE PICTURES Cheryl Cole's style file

SEE PICTURES Cheryl and Ashley Cole: Their love story