Cheryl Cole Claims Ashley Cole 'Cracked Up' Over Marriage Split

WENNWENN

In her new autobiography Cheryl Cole opens up about her split in 2009 from then-husband Ashley Cole, and while their break-up was played out in the media, the Girls Aloud star has now claimed that her ex seemed to suffer a "mental breakdown", according to reports.

The England and Chelsea midfielder cracked up, according to the singer, when she ended their marriage following a string of affairs, reports Stv.com.

According to the 'Call My Name' star's autobiography 'Cheryl: My Story', Ashley was in a complete state over their split, even growing a beard.

''If I thought I was cracking up, people were telling me that Ashley was in an even worse state, she wrote according to Stv.com.

'''Cheryl, it's terrifying,' one friend said, and what she described made it sound like Ashley was going through a mental breakdown."

While in another extract she hints the football star had considered ending his life: '''He's literally talking nonsense, he's got a beard and he's smoking and drinking loads.' Somebody else told me that Ashley had said something like, 'I don't want to be here any more.'

According to Cheryl, Chelsea Football Club offered support to the distraught player to help him through the very public breakdown of his marriage.

''I didn't believe he was seriously suicidal, but I was relieved to also hear that the club was trying to get him some help," she revealed.

While Cheryl claims Ashley was a broken man over the split, she maintains he never actually apologised for his infidelity.

Asked if he tried to make amends for cheating during an appearance on Alan Carr: Chatty Man, the Geordie said: "No. Never."

She added: "I think maybe for him tha! t would have been like admitting he was wrong and justified me leaving the marriage, whereas if he didn't say anything he could pretend it wasn't happening."

Ashley and Cheryl: What went wrong?

Katy Perry Impresses John Mayer On His 35th Birthday In Stunning Floral DressBrad Pitt 'Regrets Angelina Jolie Romance', According To Chelsea HandlerKristen Stewart Buys Home Close To Robert Pattinson, Though Actor Is 'Still Hurting' Following Affai