Cheryl Cole sent "I hate you" text to Cowell over 'X Factor' axe

Cheryl Cole has talked about her axe from The X Factor USA for the first time.

The singer revealed that she was told she had been dropped from the lineup in an impromptu meeting with Simon Cowell during a break in filming.

Simon Cowell and Cheryl Cole, National TV Awards 2010

PA Images / Yui Mok/PA Archive

In her upcoming autobiography, Cole recalled how the executive producer broke the news and then told her that she could still have a place as chief judge on the UK version of the talent show.

"He didn't even have the guts to phone or send a message warning me what was coming," she said.

"I was furious with Simon for letting it happen like this. I believed we had a good friendship and I couldn't understand why he just hadn't been straight with me."

Cowell drafted in Pussycat Dolls star Nicole Scherzinger - who is a judge on this year's UK series - as Cole's replacement.

The former Girls Aloud star explained that she wrote an expletive-filled text to Cowell after their meeting in which she said: "I hate you. I understand you're a businessman and what I've learned from this is that business means more to you than our friendship."

Cole said that she made up with Cowell ar! ound six months later. Cowell has since described the decision to fire Cole as "the worst mistake [he] ever made".

Cole is currently performing across the UK as part of her 'A Million Lights' tour. Her autobiography Cheryl: My Story is released on Thursday (October 11).

Watch the lyric video for Cole's latest single 'Screw You' below: