Cheryl Cole writes songs she will never release

She explained: "Every record I've made, there are songs I've written that I haven't put out because... well, I don't want to. I write for my own pleasure sometimes."

And the 28-year-old beauty insisted that she still has creative input on all her work, even if she doesn't do the writing herself.

She told the BBC: "But you have to connect with something you're singing about. I'm not going to sing about a subject I've not got any feeling for."

The 'Parachute' hitmaker is thrilled with her new album, though she admits it has been a long wait for fans.

Cheryl - who took an 18 month break from music after the split - said: "It's been a long time coming. But I think it's the best work I've done".

She added that the recording process was "the most fun I've ever had".

'A Million Lights' will be released on June 18.