Cheryl Cole recalls red carpet pandemonium: 'It's terrifying'

Cheryl Cole has said that she finds walking red carpets a "terrifying" experience.

In a new interview and photoshoot with Stylist, the Girls Aloud star recalled one experience during which she both ripped her dress and lost her nail polish.

Cheryl Cole attends the Prince's Trust Success Awards in London

PA Images / Suzan/EMPICS Entertainment

Cheryl Cole

"For the record, it's terrifying. We once had this nightmare where my dress ripped here, somebody was sewing here, my nail had just chipped so somebody was painting them," she said. "Then I walked out, tripped in the middle of the corridor, grabbed the security guy and tore all my nail polish off.

"I had burgundy nail polish all down my white dress. So I said, 'Wait until I figure out how I am going to manoeuvre this handbag so that my nails are covered'."

She continued: "So, that's how I walked down the carpet. It was absolute pandemonium. Anyone who says that they love red carpets is lying. Getting dressed up is the best part. And champagne after the event - that's even better."

Discussing her style, Cole said that she likes to "change it up" outside of her signature look.

"But I do have that go-to look that I feel comfortable with," she said. "I don't feel like myself if I don't have eye liner on. I'm quite happy to go without make-up but if I was at a friends for dinner, I'd feel more comfortable, more 'me', with my eyes done.

"I don't think I have a specific style; I just wear what I fancy or buy what I like the look! of. Lik e everybody else I might see someone on a TV ad or pass a billboard and be like, 'Where's she got that from?' then go and buy it. I like the print trend at the minute."

The new edition of Stylist magazine featuring Cheryl Cole on the cover:

Stylist, Cheryl Cole

The 28-year-old, currently prepping the release of her third solo album, said: "But in terms of work, I guess it depends what's appropriate. Sometimes it's appropriate to wear a cocktail dress but if it was more of a big gala thing, then it's got to be the full shenanigans a big, full gown.

"I can't bear shopping though. I hate changing rooms. If every retailer in this country invested more time in mirrors and lighting they'll get more customers - trust me. Until then, online shopping is the way forward."

> Cheryl Cole judges Cameron Diaz in 'What to Expect' reality TV trailer
> Cheryl Cole to Demi Lovato: 'You're inspirational'