Cheryl Cole: Americans find it difficult to believe I'm from a council estate

Pop star Cheryl Cole doesn't think she's any different to how she was growing up

Cheryl Cole | Celebrity face shockers | Pictures | Photos | New | Celebrity News

Cheryl Cole divorced footballer Ashley Cole in September 2010

Cheryl Cole has revealed that news of her deprived upbringing often surprises people she meets in the US.

The pop star has come a long way since her childhood, which was spent in a poor area of Newcastle - but she doesn't think she's changed.

'I still feel like that little girl,' Cheryl, 28, tells Stylist.

'That's the weirdest thing for me especially when I'm out in America and people are like: "So what's your background, where you from?"

'When I tell them, they find it difficult to believe that I'm from a council estate.

They're like, "No way!"

'In my mind I'm still that person. But to them I'm a pop star, it really is the strangest feeling.'

Cheryl may now be worth millions and spend a lot of her time in up-market LA, but she'll never forget her roots.

'I'm proud I grew up on a council estate and made good of myself,' Cheryl's previously said.

'I get letters from young girls who say they are inspired by me.

'I'm glad I'm encouraging them.'

SEE PICTURES Cheryl Cole debuts big hair for new job as judge on US X Factor>>

FASHION GALLERY SPECIAL Ch! eryl Col e's fashion history - the highs and the lows>>

NEW PICTURES Cheryl Cole wears nude dress to meet Prince Charles>>

SEE PICTURES Cheryl and Ashley Cole: The story so far>>

MORE PHOTOS Cheryl Cole looking red hot at the Elle Style Awards 2011>>

SEE PICTURES The life of Ashley Cole's ex Cheryl Cole>>

Esme Riley

Harry Styles supports Cancer Research UK

One Direction coming soon

Teen Now meets One Direction part 1

Teen Now meets One Direction part 2

Capital FM Jingle Bell Ball part 2