Cheryl Cole 'terrified' of the red carpet

People News

Mar 28, 2012, 4:01 GMT

Cheryl Cole

Cheryl Cole

Cheryl Cole finds the red carpet 'terrifying'.

The 28-year-old Girls Aloud star admits that although it might look glamorous, in truth it's far from it.

She explained: 'For the record, it's terrifying. We once had this nightmare where my dress ripped here, somebody was sewing here, my nail had just chipped so somebody was painting them.

'Then I walked out, tripped in the middle of the corridor, grabbed the security guy and tore all my nail polish off. I had burgundy nail polish all down my white dress. So I said, 'Wait until I figure out how I am going to manoeuvre this handbag so that my nails are covered'.

'So, that's how I walked down the carpet. It was absolute pandemonium. Anyone who says that they love red carpets is lying. Getting dressed up is the best part. And champagne after the event - that's even better.'

Despite her successful solo career and a stint as a judge on 'The X Factor', Cheryl insists she still sees herself as just a regular girl from Newcastle.

She told Stylist magazine: 'I still feel like that little girl. That's the weirdest thing for me especially when I'm out in America and people are like, 'So what's your background, where you from?' When I tell them, they find it difficult to believe that I'm from a council estate. They're like, 'No way!'

'In my mind I'm still that person. But to them I'm a pop star, it really is the strangest feeling.'

Having finally joined twitter last year, the '3 Words' hitmaker says it has helped ! her beco me more familiar with her fans.

She said: 'I just feel like they know me and I know them, especially now with twitter. Is that weird?

'I did a signing two days ago where I get to see them one-on-one and I was asking them so many questions. They were laughing at me saying it was like I was interviewing them but I want to make sure I really know them.'