Simon Cowell - Simon Cowell Wanted Affair With Cheryl Cole?

Simon Cowell has told close friends he was "mesmerised" by Cheryl Cole and wanted to begin a relationship with her during their time on the X Factor. The music mogul likened the Girls Aloud singer to Princess Diana and told pals, "I would have liked an affair with Cheryl", according to the UK's Sun newspaper.

The story refers to Tom Bower's new book, 'Sweet Revenge: The Intimate Life of Simon Cowell', in which the author claims Cowell fell under Cheryl's spell during her frequent visits to his dressing room while judging on the X Factor. Cowell confessed, "She would come in dressed in her tracksuit and slippers, drop her eyes and play the soulful victim to get around me. She played me.When she walked over, I felt I was the mouse with a beautiful cat. I adored her. And as she got her own way, it drove Louis Walsh mad". The revelations come just weeks after Cheryl had a public bust-up with Louis Walsh over his management of Girls Aloud, once they had won Pop Idols: The Rivals. Simon and Cheryl's close on-screen relationship led to allegations that the pair were more than friends, though the Geordie singer was often linked to Will.I.AM.

Their personal and professional relationship broke down after Cowell fired Cole from his U.S. version of the X Factor, claiming she was not herself during the early audition rounds.