Cheryl's Niece 'Asked To Talk About Cole' In XF Audition

11:49, Friday, 27 July 2012

Cheryl Cole's niece has revealed she was asked to talk about her famous aunt when auditioning for The X Factor last month.

As we previously reported, Melissa Armstrong - whose stepfather is Chezza's brother - received mixed reactions from panelists Nicole Scherzinger, Gary Barlow, Tulisa and Louis Walsh after singing Cole's hit, Promise This.

Despite being told by Tulisa that she had "a sweet voice", Melissa failed to make it through to Boot Camp and was advised by Scherzinger that she should join a girl band, much like Cole.

When asked by Heat magazine if she had told the Girls Aloud star about her audition, Armstrong claimed: "No, I was too nervous. I didn't want to jinx it.

"I never auditioned before, when she was a judge, because I didn't want everyone to think it was biased. It would have been really weird auditioning for her."

She continued: "I got through two auditions with the producers before they found out Cheryl was my aunt.

"At the [filmed] audition t! hey were prompting me to start taking about Cheryl. They asked us to sing Cheryl's songs a few times and I was dubious at first."

The 21-year old added: "I didn't go on to be Cheryl. I think it could be manipulated on telly to make it look like I just want to be her.

"She'll know I didn't go on to copy her. I'm in the recording studio right now, but I think I might try and get in a girlband. I'm done with The X Factor - I hate queueing!"

Watch MTV News on the hour every hour on MTV - Sky Channel 126 and Virgin Channel 311