Cheryl Cole hits out at "evil" online bullies: 'People call me fat'

Cheryl Cole has spoken out against the "evil" bullying she receives online.

The 'Call My Name' singer said that the hateful comments she has been subjected to make her empathise with the people helped by The Cheryl Cole Foundation, which works with The Prince's Trust to help disadvantaged youngsters in her hometown of Newcastle.

Cheryl Cole performing on the Graham Norton Show

PA Images / Ian West/PA Wire

"In the last few years, I've been bullied on Facebook and Twitter," she told Grazia. "It's evil and very public. People judge my appearance and hair, and say that I look fat.

"I get what these kids have gone through because I had a tough upbringing and I understand what it feels like to get bullied like some of them."

Cole recently confessed to dating an abusive 'junkie' as a teenager in Newcastle, recalling: "People think it's passionate and fun, but it's aggressive and wrong. I was depressed and poorly. I had to end it for my health."

The former X Factor judge recently reached out to an unnamed Twitter user who was posting "heartbreaking" messages.

"You have to/NEED to make Mistakes in your life in order to learn/grow/change and gain strength," Cole wrote. "Don't kill yourself with regret...You'll get there !!"

Watch ! Digital Spy chat with Cheryl Cole below: