Cheryl Cole defends 'X Factor' USA outfit: 'Everyone copied me after'

Cheryl Cole has defended the much-ridiculed outfit she wore for her debut X Factor USA appearance.

The 'Promise This' singer received a less-than-positive reaction to the "big" hairstyle and lurid orange, purple and turquoise ensemble she sported at an audition, with some insiders suggesting that her style choices contributed to her axing from the show.

"She came out on the first day wearing that hideous outfit. And the reaction from Fox was like, 'What the f**k is she wearing?'" a source said back in May.

The X-Factor USA Los Angeles Auditions: Cheryl Cole

Cole has now hit back at criticism of the outfit, saying that nobody else's opinion should matter since she was happy with how she looked.

"I'm not being funny, but everybody else started wearing orange and purple [after]," she told The Daily Telegraph. "It's a fact.

"I love those trousers. I don't give a s**t if everybody else didn't like them."

Cole this week declared herself to be a fan of Lady GaGa's "fascinating" fashion sense.

"Lady GaGa has took it to the extreme and nobody had dared to go there before," she said. "I mean, I'm not as brave or as bold as to do some of the things she does mysel! f, but I admire her a lot."

Cole launched her debut shoe range on Tuesday (December 6).

See pictures of Cheryl Cole's new shoe range below: