Pop star Cheryl Cole goes under the hammer for the Prince of Wales

I must thank Cheryl Cole, said the Prince of Wales at the event at the Savoy hotel in London. Shes been kind enough to come this evening and, apart from anything else, to offer herself up as an auction prize. Only, alas, for afternoon tea.

When Edith Bowman was one of the presenters of the BBCs royal wedding coverage, her lilac outfit was described by one critic as being so mumsy that both Hyacinth Bucket and Susan Boyle would have rejected it. Philippa Hall, the Sky News presenter, for her part, remarked: Oh, my God, Edith Bowman, what are you wearing?

Happily, the BBC has not been deterred from using Bowman in its coverage of the Queens Diamond Jubilee. They have just got in touch and I am thrilled to do it, the Scot tells Mandrake. I have no idea what it involves yet. For all I know, they could have me jumping in the Thames, so that would make a difference on the outfit.

Diana Quick cracks whip

The uneasy relationship between the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats may sometimes appear a pantomime, but it will soon be a stage play.

Diana Quick tells Mandrake that she is to appear in a play about the Coalition. Its a very exciting project and Ive been totally immersed in my character as the chief Lib Dem whip, says the celebrated actress.

She recently attended a film screening with David Cameron. I was desperate to get the inside story, but I kept quiet and smiled. I didnt want to blurt out anything innappropriate.

She adds of the play, which is expected to be performed at the Edinburgh festival: The Tory PM is totally in control by the end. I dont think Cameron needs to be too worried.

Pedalling pioneer

Back on his feet after a hip replacement, Alan Bennett now wants to cycle again around his north London neighbourhood.

The more protected, off-road, cycle routes there are the better, says the playwrigh! t, 77. I was one of the people who pioneered for the path through Regents Park. I dont know how many people have got to die before they actually do something about it.