Cher apologises to Cheryl Cole on live TV

The X Factor star admitted on ITV1's Daybreak this morning that she "shouldn't have" slagged the Geordie star off and said: "Sorry to her if she found it offensive."

Cher, 18, backtracked on the negative comments she made about Cheryl's live singing ability, telling Kate Garraway and Dan Lobb: "Basically I said something on radio which I shouldn't have said and it wasn't intended to sound as bad as it did."

When Kate suggested she had been negative about Cheryl, Cher said: "I wasn't doing that, all I was saying is I would love to perform with her and I made a little joke about only if she sang live.

Cher Lloyd apologises to Cheryl Cole on Daybreak

Apologising ... Cher Lloyd

"I think it all got blown out of proportion. I just want to say sorry to her if she found that offensive. But at the end of the day, she is the person who got me to where I am today."

She added: "[Being young] is not an excuse, I should still be on top of it. I'm in the public eye now, so word vomit is not good!"

Her grovelling came after a cocky radio interview earlier this week seemed to show Cher mocking Cheryl's performances.

Video: Cher apologies to Cheryl Cole

SINGER says sorry for comments she made about mentor in radio interview

Asked if she would ever perform with the Girls Aloud singer, Cher replied: "Maybe if she sings live with me!"

When questioned if she thought the prospect of singing live would be a difficult one for Cheryl, Cher replied: "Well it is nowadays, when you haven't got the nifty little button to press!"

When the presenter asked if she meant that Cheryl was relying on autotune, Cher giggled sarcastically: "What? Oh no. Never, never ever!"

Cheryl Cole

Naturally Cher's comments didn't go down too well with the Fight for this Love Girls singer who had been her mentor during the 2010 X Factor show.

Cheryl took to her twitter account shortly afterward and made a not-too subtle dig at the youngster's arrogance. She wrote: "Be Careful who you kick on your way up... They kick you twice as hard on your way back down. #unappreciationisugly"

Last weekend Cher revealed the pair have not kept in touch since they worked together on The X Factor.

She said: "Cheryl understood me and helped me a lot and so it's sad that I haven't heard from her.

"But if she wants to give me a ring she can. If not, that's fine too."

Don't hold your breath, Cher.