Cher Lloyd on Cheryl Cole row: 'I really did put my foot in it'

Cher Lloyd has said that she was not surprised by Cheryl Cole's reaction to her recent criticism.

The 'Swagger Jagger' star appeared to annoy her former X Factor mentor when she hinted that Cole would not perform live without auto-tune. Following Cole's Twitter response, Lloyd apologised for her "little joke", adding that it had been blown "out of proportion".

Cher Lloyd appearing on 'This Morning'

Rex Features / Steve Meddle

Speaking on ITV1's This Morning, the 18-year-old said that she is "always" putting her foot in it: "I think I get too comfortable with just being myself. I forget that people are watching me.

"I think I really did put my foot in it and now I've realised that what I said was wrong, obviously, and I said sorry. And I think it got fully taken out of context, but I think I understand now that you need to be on form and be aware of what you're saying all the time."

Asked if she was surprised to provoke a reaction from the Girls Aloud star, Lloyd told hosts Phillip Schofield and Holly Willoughby: "No, I'm not too surprised, but it is what it is.

"I do owe her. But how I see it is The X Factor was a great platform for me and she really did help me and I'm very grateful. You know, I wouldn't say that I wasn't grateful for what she had given me - the opportunity that she! had giv en me, putting me through and things like that - but I feel like from here, it's down to me to do as best as I possibly can."

Cher Lloyd appearing on 'This Morning'

Rex Features / Steve Meddle

Cher Lloyd appearing on 'This Morning'

Rex Features / Steve Meddle

Discussing the follow-up to her debut album Sticks + Stones, Lloyd said that she would be more in control of her new material.

"I think the way that the music is going is the way that I want it to go now. The first single wasn't quite the way I wanted it to be, but now it's just going smoothly," she said.

"And I really want every album to be very different, and just to keep people interested in all the different stuff I can do. But, yes, I think the next album will be more controlled by me."

> Cher Lloyd debuts acoustic mix of new single 'Want U Back'

Watch the video for Cher's new single 'Want U Back' below: