Simon Cowell: Cheryl Cole is one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen in my life

Simon Cowell has revealed that he was bowled over by Cheryl Cole's beauty when she first started on The X Factor.

The music mogul hires 'a lot' of women for their looks but was stunned by how pretty Cheryl, 29, was.

I think my entire production staff - including a lot of gay people - were madly in love with Cheryl,' says Simon, 53.

'I mean, literally, when she walked on set on the first day in the UK I thought she was one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen in my life.

'I mean, genuinely. She was just absolutely stunning. She still is but I remember that day vividly as in: "God, you are gorgeous."'

Cheryl is certainly Simon's type - ex-girlfriends including Mezhgan Hussainy, Terri Seymour and Carmen Electra have all been brunette like the Girls Aloud singer.

Simon has had a string of similar-looking partners over the years and admits that he's only spent a few months alone in almost a decade.

'I'm happy single, and when I'm in relationships as well. I tend to be in a relationship more than being single,' Simon tells the Radio Times.

'Terri lasted six years, Mezhgan lasted two years, and that was in a nine-year block, so I was only single for about a year out of those nine.'

SEE PICTURES Simon Cowell and Britain's Got Talent judges brave snow for London auditions

SEE PICTURES Simon Cowell's life story

SEE PICTURES Stars arrive at Simon Cowell's 50th birthday party

Anna Duff