Cheryl: Will inspired me to go solo

Cheryl Cole has revealed it was Will.i.am who inspired her to try her hand as a solo musician.

The 29-year-old singer told MSN in an interview about her new autobiography Cheryl: My Story, that she had not thought of branching out outside girlband Girls Aloud until The Voice coach and music producer encouraged her.

Cheryl said: "Being in a girl group for so many years, it was like seven years we were together and I was surrounded by friends, it's like a comfort blanket. It's not just you alone. So in terms of going solo, I hadn't really considered it until Will planted the seed. He could see in me what I hadn't seen yet.

"And I've learned a lot from him, he's a very, very wise character. He's been in the industry for a long, long time, so I trusted his instinct and opinion."

The singer and former X Factor judge - who filed for divorce from footballer Ashley Cole in 2010 after four years of marriage - confessed she was torn when it came to publishing an autobiography, but she had had "enough" of the rumours about her.

Cheryl said: "It was a tough decision. It was a battle with myself, with how I normally am because I am a very private person. But I'd just took enough. I was sick of reading lies, sick of reading misquotes.

"Enough was enough and it was time for me to put out my side of the story, and the truth. And if I was going to do it I was going to do it honestly and frankly and truthfully, and not beat around the bush. So once I made the decision I knew it was going to be frank and open.

"Just putting all the rumours to bed. I was just tired of everything being rehashed, everyone having a misinformed opinion on who they thought I was. It just felt like the right thing to do."