Cheryl Cole surprised by fashion status

Parachute singer Cheryl Cole has said that she doesn't understand how people think she is a fashion icon.

The 29-year-old singer, who is rumoured to be taking a six month break from the music industry, insisted that she is just like any other clothes-obsessed girl.

Speaking on Daybreak, Cole said: ''It's crazy because I really don't think of myself as a style icon. I love the fact that people are inspired and look at me for inspiration.

''But I just like clothes! I'm just like any other girl out there, I just love clothes and shoes and handbags and dressing up and experimenting. It's just part of what I love to do - and it's also part of my job.''

The Girls Aloud star and former X-Factor judge further explained that she would never release an exercise video, adding: "No, I look awful when I'm working out.

"The frizzy hair, the red face - it's not a pretty sight.

"It's not something you'd want on a big TV screen, trust me."