Cheryl Cole flattered by Simon Cowell crush: "He's got making up to do"

Cheryl Cole has admitted that she is pleased with Simon Cowell describing her as "one of the most beautiful women" in the world, as he still has "some making up to do".

Cowell revealed in a recent interview, which saw him shrug off rumours about his sexuality, that he was smitten with Cole from the first time they worked together on The X Factor.

Simon Cowell and Cheryl Cole, National TV Awards 2010

PA Images / Yui Mok/PA Archive

"I think my entire production staff - including a lot of gay people - were madly in love with Cheryl," he said.

''I mean, literally, when she walked on set on the first day in the UK I thought that she was one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen in my life. She was just absolutely stunning."

When asked for her thoughts on Cowell's comments by Daybreak's Richard Arnold, Cole said that she was pleased her former boss was still trying to get back in her good books after they fell out over her sacking from The X Factor USA in 2011.

"I'll take that, he's got some making up to do," she said. "I'll take that."

Cheryl Cole, Girls Aloud, Ten tour, after party, Manchester

Cheryl Cole arrives for the Ten tour after party

Cole also explained that she released her tell-all autobiography Cheryl: My Story last year because she was tired of being "slapped around" by the press.

"It's like you can only be slapped around so much before you say enough is enough," she said.

"It was a process going through it and dragging up things I didn't want to think about again, but it was just like finally, at least my side of the story is out there."

On turning 30 in June, the Girls Aloud singer said: "I've had an incredible decade in this industry, with the highs and the lows. 30 is a very empowering age for me, I feel the best I've ever felt."

It has been rumoured that Cole could rejoin The X Factor USA for its third season as part of a settlement in her ongoing lawsuit over her dismissal.

View all of today's best celebrity pictures - Photo gallery: